Wednesday, May 17, 2006



This is a photo taken at the display garden of Pacific Peony & Perennial nursery. The color of the willow in the background was echoed perfectly in the peony in the front of it. Unfortunately, this particular nursery is no more. It was a springtime ritual to visit it. I live in Oregon, and we're blessed with limitless fabulous nurseries, display gardens and public gardens to visit. Later this month I'll take a day off work to visit Schreiner's Iris Gardens. It is unbelievably beautiful. Not just for the iris, but all the other gorgeous perennials growing there too. They have fabulous peonys, lupines, columbine, & clematis that will put on a show.Stay tuned for pictures of it.

Right now in my garden, the peonys are blooming. I have one plant that is just covered with buds, and I remembered to put a peony support around it, so they won't all end up in the mud. I wish I knew what variety it is. The flowers are pale pink, huge marshmallows of flowers. I have a burgundy red variety that my mom grew for years at the house I grew up at. It's a beautiful, dependable variety. The tall bearded iris are starting to bloom, as are the siberians. Roses are budded, almost ready to start their show. Clematis montana has totally overwhelmed the arbor with pale pink blooms. I love this time of year.

1 Comments:

Blogger christina said...

Oooooh, peonies have always been my favourite. They seem to grow well here, lots of neighbours have gorgeous plants, but we don't seem to have enough sun or something. We did plant a few this year and there are a couple that came up from last year and I'm seeing BUDS so I'm really hopeful.

3:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home